Click here to see how our firm is preparing for COVID-19.
How can we help?

    DeKalb County Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer

    Placing a beloved family member in a nursing home or an assisted living facility is always a tough decision. Finding out that they have been mistreated by the people who were supposed to care for them, however, can be devastating.

    To get justice in such a case, you may need the help of a DeKalb County nursing home abuse lawyer who has handled these issues before. Work with a qualified personal injury attorney that may know how to advocate for you in civil court.

    Warning Signs

    It is important to be alert for signs that something is wrong when visiting loved ones. Some of the warning signs of substandard or negligent care include:

    • Bedsores
    • Unexplained weight loss
    • Bruises, broken bones or other injuries
    • Signs of psychological distress
    • Sadness or listlessness
    • Increased prescriptions of sedatives or antidepressants

    Bedsores are a particularly frequent issue, since many residents of nursing homes or assisted living facilities are living with reduced mobility. In such cases, it is the responsibility of the facility’s staff to make sure the residents move around during the day so they do not develop bedsores.

    Physical Abuse

    Caring for the elderly and chronically ill can be challenging, particularly if those persons are suffering from dementia. However, it is the responsibility of all licensed nursing homes and assisted living facilities to hire staff who have been trained to handle these kinds of situations.

    In some cases, nursing home residents suffer outright abuse, both physical and psychological. Any time an elderly person is subjected to such treatment, the facility must be held accountable. A DeKalb County nursing home abuse lawyer could attempt to help hold the responsible party accountable.

    New Regulations Against Physical Nursing Home Abuse

    Since nursing home abuse is now seen as a growing problem, the federal government and many state governments have passed laws setting standards for such facilities. DeKalb County law provides that the staff of a residential facility must not use restraints on any resident or lock a resident in a room inside the facility.

    Additionally, it is illegal for any staff member of a nursing home to provide sedatives to a resident unless that sedative is prescribed for that resident by a physician to treat specific symptoms.

    Stolen Property

    Another common type of misconduct at nursing homes is theft of the residents’ personal property. In most cases, employees of residential facilities must not handle a resident’s money without a written request to do so from the resident or their legal representative. Also, a thorough record must be kept of all money deposited with the facility.

    Reporting and Remedying Nursing Home Abuse in DeKalb County

    DeKalb County law states that if any employee of the facility suspects that a resident is being abused, neglected, isolated, or exploited, that employee must report these concerns to the senior officials of the facility immediately.

    In addition to the terrible emotional cost of nursing home abuse, families may face increased medical costs as they try to repair the damage caused by the facility’s negligence. If the abuse leads to the premature death of a loved one, surviving family members could be compensated for loss of consortium—deprivation of the benefits of a family relationship—through a wrongful death lawsuit.

    Speaking to a DeKalb Nursing Home Abuse Attorney

    If your loved ones have suffered abusive treatment in their elderly care facility, it could be essential to their safety and well-being that you speak with an experienced DeKalb County nursing home abuse attorney as soon as possible. A DeKalb County nursing home abuse lawyer who both understands applicable laws and knows how to build a case that a health care facility has not met their appropriate standard of care may be invaluable in seeking compensation for your family’s maltreatment. Get in touch today to get started on your case.