Click here to see how our firm is preparing for COVID-19.
How can we help?

    Columbus FLSA Lawyer

    Since 1938, the federal government has had laws in place that protect workers in a number of areas. Known as The Fair Labor Standards Act, or FLSA, these laws regulate minimum wage standards and rules for overtime and prohibit sex discrimination in the workplace.

    However, while states are required to follow this federally mandated minimum, many of them have chosen to provide their workers with additional protections. Georgia is not one of these states. Regardless, it is important for workers to know their rights and what remedies are available if those rights are violated.

    A Columbus FLSA lawyer can represent individuals who wish to file complaints against their employers alleging wage or sex discrimination. Contact an accomplished personal injury attorney who can work to get you the fair wages and dignity that you deserve.

    Labor Laws in Georgia

    Georgia has chosen to not expand upon the federal minimum laws concerning wages. For the vast majority of workplace protections, only the federal minimums apply. For example:

    • Minimum wage in Georgia is paid at $7.25 per hour but is intended to scale with the rate of inflation. This is the federal minimum
    • Overtime is paid at all hours worked over 40 at 1.5 times the hourly rate. Again, this is what is mandated by the FLSA
    • Workers cannot be paid different rates based solely upon their sex. They also cannot be hired or fired purely on the basis of sex

    One rare area in which Georgia has enacted additional worker protections is in the category of age discrimination. Under Georgia Code 34-1-2, it is illegal to discriminate against a person over the age of 40 when making a hiring decision, when determining wages, or when deciding to terminate employees.

    Unfortunately, Georgia currently has no statute which allows a person alleging any sort of violation of employment laws to file a lawsuit. All violations of wage and sex laws must be handled by filing a lawsuit under federal law.

    Filing a Lawsuit with the Federal Government

    The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) is the federal government’s employment law enforcement agency. The process of filing a lawsuit begins with the filing of a formal complaint that must contain:

    • When and where the incident took place
    • The name of the employee
    • The name of the employer
    • A narrative of what happened

    All complaints must be filed within 180 days of the alleged incident. The EEOC will then investigate the complaint. If the complaint has merit, the EEOC can determine what remedies to apply to compensate the employee. If the complaint is found to not be an example of discrimination, the employee will be issued a right to sue form. This form serves as a gateway to initiate a lawsuit under federal law. A Columbus FLSA lawyer can help individuals pursue that suit.

    For alleged violations of wage laws, The Wage and Hour Division of the US Department of Labor (DOL) handles the investigations. In these cases, the DOL may file a claim in court on its own to protect a person’s rights. However, an individual may take the initiative to file a lawsuit on their own in Federal Court. A Columbus FLSA lawyer will work with individuals who choose to protect their rights from the initial complaint process through the appropriate trial remedy.

    Contact a Columbus FLSA Attorney Today

    It can take a lot of courage to take the brave step of standing up to an employer who has cheated you out of your hard-earned money. Many people feel intimidated by the process and think that they will face adverse reactions at work if they file a complaint. Fortunately, the law prohibits employers from taking action against complainants. In order to initiate these claims, there is a precise and specific procedure that must be followed.

    A Columbus FLSA lawyer should be familiar with these processes and can initiate claims tailored to your circumstances. Whether the claim alleges a lack of payment for wages earned, improper overtime pay scales, or improper firing due to age or sex discrimination, you have the right to pursue compensation. Dignity and fair treatment at work is something that everyone deserves. If these rights have been violated, contact an attorney that can fight for you.