Click here to see how our firm is preparing for COVID-19.
How can we help?


    I Was Injured By a Hit-and-Run Driver. What Should I Do Now?

    Posted on - Wednesday, August 26, 2015 under Car Accident, FAQ

    Getting into a car accident with a driver whose negligence and carelessness caused the crash and left you injured is bad enough. Getting hurt by a driver who flees the scene after the collision to avoid responsibility for his or her actions is infuriating.

    Unfortunately, hit-and-run drivers are responsible for thousands of crashes and injuries every year. Sometimes, the driver is identified, caught and held responsible both by the law and by the injury victim. Sometimes, however, they can’t be found and get away with a crime and an injustice.

    What should you do if you’ve been injured in a hit-and-run?

    • Try to identify the driver and the car. While the shock and disorientation in the immediate aftermath of a sudden collision can make it difficult, identifying the vehicle or the driver before it speeds away can provide the police with valuable information they can use to track down the driver. Anything from a physical description of the driver, the make and model of the car, or, in a perfect world, a license plate number can be critical to holding the offender to account.
    • Keep in touch with the police. After you have provided the police with all available information about your accident, the hope is that they will ultimately be able to apprehend the hit-and-run driver. Once they do so, prosecutors will likely file criminal charges, as fleeing the scene of an accident and failing to render aid or assistance to those injured in an accident is a felony in Georgia that can result in a prison sentence of up to five years if there was a death or serious injury as a result of the accident (O.C.G.A. 40-6-270). Once you know who the driver is, you can pursue a personal injury suit against them as you would in any other car accident case.
    • Seek compensation from your car insurance company. In the event that the authorities are unable to identify the driver, you may still be able to recover compensation through any uninsured motorist (UIM) coverage you have through your car insurance company. While you are not required to have UIM coverage in Georgia, all insurance companies are required to offer it to you and that coverage must include coverage for injuries or wrongful death caused by a hit-and-run driver. However, just because you have such coverage doesn’t mean your insurance coverage will pony up without a fight. Insurance companies are out to protect their bottom line, not yours, and may challenge your right to compensation or the amount you should receive.

    Whether the hit-and-run driver who injured you has been identified or remains at large, retaining an experienced Georgia car accident attorney should be a top priority if you want to obtain compensation to help you recover from your injuries.

    If you have been injured in a car accident, please call The Parian Law Firm at (770) 727-5550 or chat live online with a member of our staff today. We can discuss your situation, evaluate your potential claim, and advise you of your options.